Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me
If you have recently lost a loved one in a workplace accident, you want to make sure your family is taken care of in the future. An experienced wrongful death attorney can help you through this difficult time and help you explore your options after a fatal accident. At the law offices of Scher, Bassett & Hames, our wrongful death attorneys in San Jose have been dedicated to helping Bay Area families through their most difficult times for more than 40 years. Whether you file a wrongful death claim or you take action to receive benefits through workers’ compensation, there are a number of factors that will determine the compensation your family receives after you have been affected by a wrongful death.
What Is Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death is a death that occurs when a person passes away as a result of another individual’s actions, recklessness, or negligence. A wrongful death can be the result of intent to do another person harm, such as battery or assault, or the result of an accident caused by negligence.
Types of San Jose Wrongful Death Cases
- Auto accidents: Thousands of auto accidents occur in California each year, and many of them prove to be fatal. It can be difficult to get your insurance policy to provide enough coverage, making it essential to get professional legal help.
- Medical malpractice: Wrongful deaths from medical malpractice can include surgical mistakes, incorrect diagnoses, failure to diagnose, injuries from birthing, and more. Your medical practitioners have a duty to protect you from harm, making them responsible for wrongful deaths that occur as a result of their malpractice.
- Workplace injuries: Workplace injuries are extremely common, and they can be fatal for workers. They can result from incidents like construction accidents and slip and falls. If a loved one has died as a result of a workplace accident, you may be entitled to compensation.
- Bicycle or pedestrian accidents: A bicyclist or pedestrian can be severely injured or killed if a vehicle hits them.
- Defective products: Incorrect product labeling, manufacturing defects, and design flaws can all lead to wrongful deaths.
- Swimming pool accidents: California property owners are legally required to erect a gate or fence around a swimming pool or hot tub.
Why File a Wrongful Death Claim
The process of losing a loved one can be extremely challenging and overwhelming. If you are dealing with medical bills and insurance companies, it can make the experience even more strenuous. A wrongful death claim can help you cover the costs of these expenses and give you the time to properly grieve your loved one.
Why Hire a Wrongful Death Attorney in San Jose
Our wrongful death lawsuit lawyers can help you navigate the complex process of filing a wrongful death claim. We are with you every step of the way, from gathering evidence to identifying witnesses to building your case. If your settlement is not satisfactory, we can take the claim to court and fight for your rightful compensation.
Compensation in a San Jose Wrongful Death Claim
There are several types of damages you can receive if your wrongful death claim is successful. The most common type of compensation is for expenses, whether the financial assistance covers funeral costs or lifetime loss of income. You may also receive compensation for:
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
Why Choose Scher, Bassett & Hames
Originally founded by Meyer Scher in 1955, our firm’s commitment to our clients has only grown over the last six decades. Now run by Meyer’s son and lead attorney Jerry Scher, our team of personal injury lawyers at Scher, Bassett & Hames is proud to provide personable and straightforward legal advice for wrongful death cases in San Jose.
Contact Our Wrongful Death Attorneys in San Jose
If your loved one has died in a wrongful death accident, don’t wait to get the compensation you deserve. Our team of attorneys in San Jose is here to help you navigate the complex legal process of filing a claim so you can get the best possible results. Contact us today to schedule your consultation.